Boy with severe autism 'threatened with fake gun' outside Dickson shops

Two teenagers accused of using a replica pistol to "scare" a boy with severe autism as they tried to rob him outside a north Canberra supermarket went home to watch a television show about serial killer Ivan Milat, court documents allege.

The boys, aged 16 and 17, each faced the ACT Childrens' Court charged with attempted aggravated robbery using an offensive weapon on Monday. Neither has entered pleas.

Court documents said witnesses called police after two teenagers approached the boy outside Woolworths at Dickson shortly before 7pm on Sunday.

The 16-year-old boy allegedly pushed him against the wall and said, "this is a robbery, give me what you have". He pointed a multi-coloured hand-held pistol at the boy's head and demanded cash as the 17-year old alleged offender watched on. 

When the boy refused to give them anything, the two teenagers fled.

Police who went to the shopping centre found the alleged victim, who said he'd been pushed to the ground, threatened with a toy gun and asked for money.

The teenagers were arrested after police viewed CCTV footage they said showed a young boy grab hold of the alleged victim and point a fake gun at his head, before two males ran away.

Officers seized a green and black replica pistol when they searched a south Canberra property.

In a police interview, the 17-year-old boy said the two teenagers were watching movies with friends when they decided to go to the shops to get something to eat.

He said the 16-year-old boy had shown him a fake, military-style pistol he'd bought online before he said they could find the alleged victim, "scare him" and steal his wallet. He then stuffed the weapon down his pants.

The 17-year-old boy allegedly told police he knew the victim from school and he was "kinda retarded" and couldn't speak properly. He said the boy screamed and told the boy to stop when he was pushed over, and he felt sorry for him.

He said the boys had gone back to their friend's house, where they watched a television show about Ivan Milat.

Prosecutors opposed the 17-year-old boy's bail application in court, saying while he wasn't the leader he was "very much part" of the alleged crime and hadn't tried to talk the other teenager out of his behaviour or stop him.

The court heard the boy had previously been charged with brandishing a one metre-long machete outside the same supermarket.

Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker refused bail. The boy, 16, did not make a bid for release. Both children were remanded in custody.

The case returns to court on May 29.

from http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news...

see also http://a4.org.au/node/1591