Autistic teen rescued from house fire

Nick Toscano November 13, 2013

A confused autistic boy who was engulfed in smoke during a house fire in Melbourne's south east has been rescued by two passers-by.

The pair saw smoke coming from the house on Were Street, Brighton, shortly after 1.30pm on Wednesday, and smashed a window to gain entry.

The teenage boy, who has Asperger's syndrome, had walked into the smoky kitchen but then froze and did not know what to do, according to the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.

Commander Rob Dean said the boy pulled outside to safety by the good Samaritans before paramedics treated him for smoke inhalation.
Advertisement

"Although not a big fire, it generated a lot of smoke," he said.

Eleven firefighters battled to extinguish the blaze, which was caused by an electrical fault.

from http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/autistic-teen-rescued-from-house-fire-...